On February the 12th, the students of the Interuniversity Master’s Degree Cultural Heritage in the XXI Century: Management and Research made their final presentations on Cultural tourism, with practical application to cultural heritage.
“Work focused on a tourism planning experience of a dominant heritage space, with greater emphasis on the study of the position of heritage within the overall tourism development strategy”
Stonehenge, the Edinburgh Castle, the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, the Way of Saint James, the Sagrada Familia and the Alhambra of Granada were the places chosen for an in-depth analysis.
All the selected places are recognized throughout Europe as part of a human heritage that identifies our roots and guides us towards the future. They are visited annually by many tourists and curious people from around the world, so they need special protection measures.
Throughout their process of inquiry, the students could verify that the management of a tourist site is much more complex than at first sight, because they have to fit perfectly the safeguarding of the cultural place with its diffusion through of the on-site visit (as expressed in Law 16/1985 of the Spanish Historical Heritage).
In the management of a cultural asset, depending on the country, can participate from the administration to private companies (with economic contribution or not), so knowing who directs is one of the most important points when we have to analyze the tourist management of a cultural/historic site.
But beyond knowing the site and the public that it has, the students also had to wonder about the challenges and opportunities faced by the chosen sites. Is the flow of tourists well channelled? Is there good coordination between administrations? Are the objectives set?, etc.
Within that we can not show you the complete works, we want to leave you the web-links that were used by the students for their class works, mainly in case curiosity stings you.
ENLACES A WEBS / WEB-LINKS
- Stonehenge & Avebury World Heritage Site http://www.stonehengeandaveburywhs.org/
- Stonehenge English Heritage http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/
CASTILLO DE EDIMBURGO
- Edimburgh Castle https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/
- Edinburgh Castle – site information from Historic Environment Scotland https://canmore.org.uk/site/52068/edinburgh-castle
MEZQUITA DE CÓRDOBA
- Conjunto Monumental Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba https://mezquita-catedraldecordoba.es/
CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
- Camino de Santiago – Web Oficial http://www.caminodesantiago.gal/es/
- Santiago de Compostela Turismo santiagoturismo.com/camino-de-santiago
- Basílica de la Sagrada Familia (CAT) http://www.sagradafamilia.org/
ALHAMBRA DE GRANADA
- Web oficial https://www.alhambradegranada.org/